The City of Ashland recently recognized Nautilus Design Studio with its fourth Historic Preservation Award. These annual awards acknowledge the commitment of local citizens, architects, designers and builders in furthering historic preservation and protecting cultural resources.
The original house, located in Ashland’s Skidmore Historic District, is a story-and-a-half Victorian built in 1900; a back porch had been added to the house later. Our goal was to integrate a story-and-a-half addition, consisting of a bedroom above a new shop and attached garage. The house sits on a corner lot, and the side of the house is more visible from the street than the front. With this in mind—and because the client prefers using the side entry over the front—we created a new side entry and porch. Inside, a mudroom connects the original kitchen, new shop and upstairs bedroom.